zondag 10 september 2023

Tom Waits -Tom Traubert's blues



“A battered old suitcase into a hotel someplace, and a wound that will never heal.”


Wasted and wounded, it ain't what the moon didI've got what I paid for nowSee ya tomorrow, hey Frank, can I borrowA couple of bucks from you?To go Waltzing Mathilda, Waltzing MathildaYou'll go Waltzing Mathilda with me
I'm an innocent victim of a blinded alleyAnd I'm tired of all these soldiers hereNo one speaks English, and every thing's brokenAnd my stacks are soaking wetTo go Waltzing Mathilda, Waltzing MathildaYou'll go Waltzing Mathilda with me
Now the dogs are barking and the taxi cab's parkingA lot they can do for meI begged you to stab me, you tore my shirt openAnd I'm down on my knees tonightOld bush mill's I staggered, you buried the dagger inYour silhouette window lightTo go Waltzing Mathilda, Waltzing MathildaYou'll go Waltzing Mathilda with me
Now I lost my Saint Christopher now that I've kissed herAnd the one-armed bandit knowsAnd the Maverick Chinamen, and the cold-blooded signsAnd the girls down by the strip-tease shows goWaltzing Mathilda, Waltzing MathildaYou'll go Waltzing Mathilda with me
No, I don't want your sympathy, the fugitives sayThat the streets aren't for dreaming nowManslaughter dragnets and the ghosts that sell memoriesThey want a piece of the action anyhow goWaltzing Mathilda, Waltzing MathildaYou'll go Waltzing Mathilda with me
And you can ask any sailor, and the keys from the jailerAnd the old men in wheelchairs knowThat Mathilda's the defendant, she killed about a hundredAnd she follows wherever you may goWaltzing Mathilda, Waltzing MathildaYou'll go Waltzing Mathilda with me
And it's a battered old suitcase to a hotel someplaceAnd a wound that will never healNo Prima Donna, the perfume is onAn old shirt that is stained with blood and whiskeyAnd goodnight to the street sweepersThe night watchman flame keepers and goodnight to Mathilda too


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten